Consumer Alerts by Date
- See also Consumer Alerts by Topic
2018 Consumer Alerts
- April 2018 - There's No Such Thing as a Free Lunch
- March 2018 - Old Scams are New Again with Personalization
2017 Consumer Alerts
- November 2017 - Refunds Available to Eligible Consumers Who Wired Money Through Western Union
- September 2017 - Scam Alert - Flooded Automobiles Flooding Markets
- September 2017 - Consumer Tips: Equifax Data Breach
- August 2017 - Charitable Giving Tips: Hurricane Harvey Disaster Relief
- July 2017 - Alaska State Trooper/Jury Service Scam
- June 2017 - Federal Loan Cancellation for Former Students of Corinthian Colleges
- June 2017 - Alaska Joins Settlement with Target Corporation over 2013 Data Breach
- June 2017 - Master Settlement Agreement (MSA) Deceptive Advertising Scam
- May 2017 - Following Fatal House Fire, CPSC Warns Consumers To Stop Using LayZ Board Hoverboards
2016 Consumer Alerts
- February 2016 - Alaska Joins Settlement with Moneygram
- February 2016 – Alaska Joins National Settlement with HSBC over Mortgage Misconduct
2015 Consumer Alerts
- August 2015 – Attorneys General Reach Settlement with Amgen Concerning Illegal Marketing of Medications
- May 2015 – Alaska Joins Settlement with Classmates, Inc. and FTD for Misleading Advertising and Billing Practices
- May 2015 – Alaska Joins Settlement with Equifax, Experian and TransUnion
- May 2015 – Alaska Joins Sprint and Verizon Cramming Settlements Consumers Eligible for Refunds
- January 2015 - Tax Season Tips: Avoid Fraud and Find Free Tax Help
2014 Consumer Alerts
- December 2014 – Alaska Joins T-Mobile Cramming Settlement
- November 2014 – FBI warns holiday shoppers of cyber scams
- September 2014 - Consumer Update: Changes to the Alaska Landlord Tenant Act
- September 2014 - Attorneys General Urge FCC to Allow Use of Call-Blocking Technologies by Phone Companies
2013 Consumer Alerts
- November 2013 - Affordable Care Act Fraud and Scams
- November 2013 - Affordable Care Act Scams Targeting Medicare Beneficiaries
- June 2013 - Beware of the Timeshare Sales Pitch
- March 2013 - Alaskans are Warned to Beware of Text Message Scams
- March 2013 - DCCED Investor Alert – Profitable Sunrise - PDF (85K)
2012 Consumer Alerts
- May 2012 Who Has Your Information and Where is it Going Next?
- April 2012 This Tax Season Watch Out for Tax-Related Identity Theft
- February 2012 Why You Should Get Your Free Credit Report Every Year
2011 Consumer Alerts
- December 2011 Alaska Joins 50 Attorneys General in Opposing Robo-Calls to Cell Phones
- October 2011 Virus protection for your computer is important, but don't buy it in response to a phone call
- August 2011 – Small Businesses Beware: You May be the Target of a 'Yellow Pages' or Online Directory Scam
- August 2011 - Buying a car through an Internet auction site? Beware of scammers selling cars they don't own. Read the Internet Crime Complaint Center's alert about the new twist on this scam and check out examples of fraudulent emails on the eBay Motors Security Center site.
- June 2011 – Watch out for FBI Email Scams
- May 2011 – Alaska Joins Settlement with Movie Gallery, Inc.
- May 2011 – Home Improvement Scams
- May 2011 – FBI issues warning about malware in emails purporting to show photos of Osama bin Laden
- April 2011 – Washington e-commerce company may owe you money
- February 2011 – Data Privacy Day
- January 2011 – Beware of Payday Loan Telephone Collection Scams
2010 Consumer Alerts
- December 2010 – Beware of Mortgage Relief Scams
- November 2010 – Holiday Shopping Alert from the FBI's Internet Crime Complaint Center
- November 2010 – Beware of Online Puppy Scams
- October 2010 – Alaska's Division of Banking and Securities' annual list of top 10 investor traps - PDF(219K)
- August 2010 – Watch Out for Tax Debt Relief Scams
- January 2010 – Beware of Fraudulent Solicitations for Haitian
2009 Consumer Alerts
- December 2009 – Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) issues warning about pop-up ads offering antivirus software
- October 2009 – Anchorage Police Department Scam Alert: Door to Door Magazine Sales
- July 2009 – Settlement with Dish Network Includes Restitution for
- July 2009 – Consumers with questions about the Countrywide settlement should visit www.countrywidesettlementinfo.com or call (866) 411-6987.
- July 2009 – Hang up on interest rate and car warranty robo-calls
- April 2009 – Beware of phony Prize Notice to the "State of Alaska Commissioners of Registrations"
- View a sample of the phony prize notice - PDF(416KB)
- April 2009 – REMINDER: April 13 Deadline for Dell Refunds
- March 2009 – Internet Crime Complaint Center (IC3) warns of fake military twist on vehicle sale scams.
2008 Consumer Alerts
- December 2008 – Are Gift Cards A Good Idea This Holiday Season?
- September 2008 – Beware of Offers for Extended Auto Warranties
- April 2008 – The Consumer Protection Unit of the Alaska Department of Law warns Alaska consumers to be aware of counterfeit check scams
- View an example of a scam being sent to Alaskans - PDF(191KB)
- March 2008 - The Anchorage Police Department has issued a press release warning citizens of a jury duty scam.
- January 2008 – Attorney General's Office Alerts Consumers to Digital TV Conversion
2007 Consumer Alerts
- November 2007 – Be a Savvy Shopper: Six Must Know Holiday Shopping Tips
- October 2007 – The Federal Trade Commission has issued an alert warning consumers about a bogus e-mail claiming to be from the FTC.
- August 2007 - Make sure your "free trial offer" really is free!
- July 2007 - Opt-out of pre-approved credit offers!
- May 2007 - Businesses are warned to be on alert for Relay Fraud
- February 2007 - Alaskans Encouraged to take Advantage of Opportunities & Resources to Mark National Consumer Protection Week
2006 Consumer Alerts
- December 2006 - Are Your Holiday Electronics Certified?
- September 2006 - "Beware the Liars" - Con artists target Alaskans and they're good at the game
- August 2006 - Notice for Veterans About Identity Theft
- July 2006 - Permanent Fund Dividend Division Warns of Phishing Scam
- July 2006 - Don't be fooled by bogus "second chance" offers
- May 2006 - Federal Trade Commission's tips on buying arts and crafts made by Alaska Natives.
- April 2006 - Yellow Pages, Inc. to stop sending check solicitations to Alaska consumers and pay restitution to consumers
- February 2006 - Attorney General Joins the FTC to Remind Alaskans that February 6th Marks National Consumer Protection Week
- January 2006 - Ameriquest to Pay $325 Million and Reform its Lending Practices to Resolve States' Investigations
2005 Consumer Alerts
- December 2005 - Shop Safely Online. Federal Trade Commission's tips on safe holiday shopping online
- December 2005 - Attorney General issues alert: Nigerian Advance Fee Scam Customized for Alaska
- November 2005 - Internet Crime Complaint Center alert: Beware of Fraudulent FBI Email.
- November 2005 - Beware of sweepstakes scammers impersonating government officials. Federal Trade Commission publication: NEW SPIN ON SWEEPSTAKES SCAMS. Here in Alaska, the Attorney General's Office has received recent reports of sweepstakes scammers providing a local phone number for an "Anchorage Customs Postal Inspector" who "confirms" the consumer has won the sweepstakes. Remember that legitimate sweepstakes never tell you that you have to pay "taxes," "customs fees," or "insurance" or any upfront fees in order to get
- November 2005 - Attorney General warning to Alaskans - Beware of "Jury Duty" Scam
- September 2005 - Hurricane Katrina Disaster Relief: Beware of Fraudulent Solicitations for Aid
- June 2005 - Don't be scammed by solicitations for free federal grants.
- June 2005 - Send a Father's Day E-card from the Federal Trade Commission.
- May 2005 - Send a Mother's Day E-card from the Federal Trade Commission.
- April 2005 - People In Profit System ("PIPS") is an illegal Ponzi Scheme
- March 2005 - Before applying for a tax refund anticipation loan ("RAL"), consider first the risks and costs of an RAL.
- National Consumer Law Center, Inc. publication- "Don't Pay to Borrow Your Own Money" - PDF(72KB)
- February 2005 - Thinking about purchasing a business opportunity? For more information about this topic, please visit the Federal Trade Commission's web site Franchise and Business Opportunities or read the Department of Law publication:
- February 2005 - Recent Reports of "Phishing" and of Phony Email Scheme.
- February 2005 - National Consumer Protection Week Focuses on
2004 Consumer Alerts
- December 2004 - Free Credit Reports for Alaskans
- December 2004 - Consumer Tips For The Holidays
- July 2004 - Women's "Gifting" Club is an Illegal Pyramid Scheme - PDF(98KB)
- May 2004 - It's Phishing Season in Alaska: Consumers beware! - PDF(13KB)
2003 Consumer Alerts
- December 2003 - FTC Tips on Giving Wisely this Holiday Season
- September 2003 - FTC Warns of Fake Credit Report Sites Designed to Lure Consumers into Providing Personal Information
- June 2003 - FTC Warning of Fraudulent Best Buy E-Mail
- April 2003 - Be Wary of Prerecorded Telephone Messages Offering to Reduce your Credit Card Debt
- March 2003 - Internet Auction Scam With a TWIST - PDF(8KB)
- January 2003 - Consider this before buying a vehicle from Canada: Auto Manufacturers Stop Warranty Coverage on Canadian Vehicles - PDF(8KB)
Some documents on this page require Adobe Reader (available as a free download) to view.