Victims' Rights Handbook


This document is intended to provide a brief overview of the rights of crime victims under Alaska's constitution and state statutes. The following discussion addresses the rights of crime victims and their families from the time charges are filed, through the trial, sentencing and post-conviction phases of the criminal justice process.

Victims' Rights under the Alaska Constitution

Article I, section 24 of the Alaska Constitution sets forth a framework for how the victims of crime should be engaged in the criminal justice process. Crime victims must be:

  • Treated with dignity, respect and fairness;
  • Protected from the defendant through the court setting appropriate bail or conditions of release after arrest or summons until the end of trial or final disposition of the case, and in situations where the defendant, although convicted of the crime, is released pending appeal;
  • Allowed to speak with the prosecution;
  • Provided a timely disposition of the case after an arrest;
  • Provided information about and be allowed to attend all criminal or juvenile proceedings where the defendant has a right to be present;
  • Provided restitution from the defendant who is found guilty.

back to top

Alaska Office of Victims' Rights

The State of Alaska has established a special office to assist crime victims: Alaska Office of Victims' Rights. The purpose of the office is to help victims of crime obtain the legal rights they have under Article 1, Section 24 of Alaska's Constitution and various Alaska state statutes with regard to their contacts with criminal justice agencies in this state. A victim of crime has the right to be informed about the Alaska Office of Victims' Rights during their first contact with law enforcement and the prosecution [AS 12.61.010(a)(15)]. The Alaska Office of Victims' Rights is staffed by attorneys and available at no cost to victims.

For more information please contact:

The Alaska Office of Victims' Rights
1007 West 3rd Avenue, Suite 205
Anchorage, Alaska 99501-1936
(907) 754-3460 Main Telephone
1-844-754-3460 Toll Free in Alaska
(907) 754-3469 Fax

back to top

Alaska Violent Crimes Compensation Board

The Violent Crimes Compensation Board (VCCB) can help bring financial relief to innocent victims of violent crimes in Alaska.

For more information please contact:

Violent Crimes Compensation Board
P.O. Box 110230
Juneau, Alaska 99811-0230
1-800-764-3040 Toll Free Nationwide
(907) 465-3040 Call Collect Main Telephone
(907)465-2379 Fax

back to top

Victims' Rights After a Crime has been Committed

After a crime is initially committed, the law provides for a number of rights related to basic safety and health needs for victims. These rights include the right to:

  • Receive immediate medical assistance [AS 12.61.010(a)(7); AS 18.65.515(a)(3)];
  • Transportation to a safe house or shelter [AS 18.65.515(a)(1)];
  • Apply for a 72-hour domestic violence protective order [AS 18.66.110; AS 18.66.100(c)(1) – (5), (8) – (12), (16)];
  • Be notified and appear at the defendant's arraignment or initial appearance before a magistrate or judge when bail conditions are set [AS 12.30.010; AS 12.61.010(a)].

back to top

Crimes of Sexual Assault and Domestic Violence

Within the Department of Public Safety there has been established a Council of Domestic Violence and Sexual Assault. The council provides planning and coordination of services, crisis intervention and prevention programs to victims of domestic violence or sexual assault and their families [AS 18.66.010].

The confidential communications between the victim of domestic violence or sexual assault and the counselor are privileged, with a few exceptions [AS 18.66.200 - .250; AS 12.45.049].

Crimes of Sexual Assault

Victims of sexual assaults should obtain sexual assault examinations as soon as possible after the crime has occurred. These exams are provided at no cost to victims [AS 18.68.040].

Upon request, in sexual assault cases where penetration was part of the criminal act, victims may ask the court to order the defendant to submit to a blood test to determine if the accused tests positive for HIV or the existence of other sexually transmitted diseases (STDs). This right exists seven days after an individual is arrested and charged with this crime by complaint, indictment, presentment or information filed with a magistrate or with the court [AS 18.15.300(f)(1); AS 18.15.300 - .310]. If the defendant's blood test indicates exposure or infection by HIV or other STD, the victim is entitled to free counseling, testing and referral to appropriate health care facilities and support services at his or her request [AS 18.15.310(h)].

Crimes of Domestic Violence

In cases of crimes involving domestic violence, a peace officer must protect the victim and the victim's family. Upon request, to prevent further violence, the peace officer should transport adult victims and family members to a shelter or safe house [AS 18.65.515(a)(1)].

Peace officers can remove essential items such as clothing, medication and legal documents that belong to the victim. Peace officers can assist the victim and any of the victim's family members in obtaining medical treatment, either by contacting emergency medical services or by transporting the victim to a local medical facility. Peace officers should also notify victims of domestic violence of services available to them.

back to top

About Protective Orders

Victims of domestic violence have the right to petition the court for a protective order. Protective orders can include provisions that:

  • Prohibit your abuser from threatening to commit or committing further acts of domestic violence;
  • Prohibit your abuser from stalking, harassing, or contacting you;
  • Remove your abuser from your residence;
  • Order your abuser to stay away from your residence, school, place of employment;
  • Prohibit your abuser from entering your vehicle or a vehicle you occupy;
  • Direct your abuser to surrender any firearm owned or possessed;
  • Request a peace officer to accompany you to your residence to ensure your safe possession of the residence, vehicle or to remove personal items from your residence;
  • Award temporary custody of a minor child to the petitioner;
  • Grant you possession and use of a vehicle and other essential personal effects;
  • Prohibit your abuser from consuming controlled substances;
  • Require your abuser to pay support for you or a minor child in your care if there is an independent legal obligation of your abuser to support you or the child;
  • Require your abuser to reimburse you for your expenses caused by domestic violence, including medical bills, and;
  • Order your abuser to participate in an intervention program for batterers [AS 18.65.515(a)(1); AS 18.65.520].

A victim of domestic violence may seek a protective order against a household member. A parent, guardian or other representative may seek a protective order on behalf of a minor. A certified copy of an unexpired protective order issued in another jurisdiction and filed with the clerk of court in any judicial district in this state, has the same effect and must be enforced in the same manner as a protective order issued by a court of this state [AS 18.66.100; AS 18.66.140].

back to top

Privacy Rights of Crime Victims

Victims of crime, like all Alaska citizens, are legally entitled to have their privacy protected under the Alaska Constitution [Art. I, sec. 22]. If a defendant is charged with kidnapping or a sex crime (which includes: sexual assault, sexual assault of a minor, indecent exposure or kidnapping), the victim's name is not a public record and may not be used in court documents. Instead, the victim will be identified by his or her initials. The residence and business addresses and telephone numbers of a victim is confidential [AS 12.61.140; AS 12.61.110; AS 12.61.120(a); AS 12.61.130(a)].

Defense attorneys must identify themselves and their association with the defendant when speaking with a victim or witness [AS 12.61.120(c)(1).

In domestic violence and sexual assault cases victims have the right to decide whether or not to speak to the defense attorney. If the victim permits the defense attorney an interview, the victim may have the prosecuting attorney or another person present.

Victims of sexual offenses also have the right to file written notice that they do not want to be contacted by the defense attorney or other person acting on behalf of the defendant [AS 12.61.125(a)(1)].

If the victim permits the defense attorney an interview, it may be electronically recorded without their knowledge or consent. Victims may ask whether they are recording the conversation and make their own decision about proceeding.

If a victim submits an application to the Violent Crimes Compensation Board, the application is confidential [AS 18.67.030(c)].

back to top

Crime Victims and Bail Review

After being arrested and charged with a crime, up to and through trial, the defendant can ask the court to be released on bail. The victim may appear at these bail hearings. The victim is not required to attend unless the victim's testimony is needed. The victim may wish to participate by telephone due to distance, disability or for safety reasons. If the victim would like to attend by telephone, the victim should contact the District Attorney's Office in advance of the hearing to make the request.

At the bail hearing, based on the circumstances of the case, a judge has broad discretion to accept or reject a bail release request. If the victim has specific concerns or requests for bail conditions, the victim should contact the District Attorneys' Office in advance of the bail hearing. For matters involving domestic violence and sexual assault, the court must consider the victim's safety in deciding whether or not to release the defendant. A victim's safety should be considered before a defendant is released in stalking and sexual assault cases. If a domestic violence defendant is released from custody, victims are entitled to receive a copy of the conditions of the accused's release [Alaska Constitution, Article 1, section 24; AS 12.61.010(a) (2); AS 12.30.027; AS 12.30.027(a); AS 12.30.025; AS 12.30.029(a); AS 12.30.027(d) (1) and (2)].

Victims should receive notice of any cancellation of a hearing or court proceeding in which the victim has been subpoenaed to testify. Victims that cooperate with law enforcement and prosecution efforts should receive information regarding available protection and should receive protection from harm or threats of harm related to that cooperation. Types of protection could include protective orders, assistance in obtaining personal belongings, transportation to a safe home or shelter and medical treatment.

Crime victims may also contact the Alaska Department of Corrections to enroll in VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday) VINE, is a free, anonymous, computerized notification system maintained by the Alaska Department of Corrections, to notify victims and others if the defendant is being transferred, released or escapes from custody. The contact number for the VINE system is 1-800-247-9763. The web site is [AS 12.30.010(a)(3); AS 12.61.010(a)(4); AS 12.61.050].

back to top

Victims' Rights at Trial and Other Criminal Proceedings

Victims of crimes have the right to be present during any proceeding in the prosecution and sentencing of a defendant if the defendant has a right to be present; and to be notified if those court dates change or there is a request for continuance that may substantially delay the trial. Upon request, if the crime is a felony or crime involving domestic violence, the prosecuting attorney shall make reasonable effort to confer with victims about their testimony before a defendant's trial. In addition to receiving notice and the right to attend trial, a victim may be introduced by the prosecuting attorney to the jury as part of the state's opening statement at trial.

A crime victim may also be called as a witness at trial. Being called as a witness and subject to cross-examination can be difficult, but remain calm and try to answer the questions as honestly and simply as possible. Victims' support groups or advocates are available and helpful. Victims should be aware that they cannot be required to submit to a psychiatric examination unless their psychiatric or psychological condition is an element of the crime charged, or they suffer from a continuing psychological or psychiatric condition that resulted from the crime charged. Absent a specific finding by the court of relevance, evidence of the past sexual conduct of a victim is not admissible.

Remember, with a few exceptions, the confidential communications between the victim of domestic violence or sexual assault and the counselor are privileged [AS 18.66.200 - .250; AS 12.45.049].

Employers may not punish or threaten to punish a victim because a victim is subpoenaed or requested by a prosecuting attorney to attend a court proceeding for the purpose of giving testimony [AS 12.61.010; AS 12.61.015; AS 12.61.017; AS 12.45.042; AS 12.45.045(a); AS 47.12.110(b)].

To check the status of a criminal matter or next court date, the victim may contact a victim/witness paralegal at the District Attorney's Office. Persons may also check the status of a criminal matter or the next court date by using the Alaska Court System's CourtView web site at

back to top

Victims' Rights Regarding Psychiatric Commitment of the Accused

Title 12, chapter 47 of the Alaska statutes addresses insanity and competency to stand trial. If a defendant has been committed to the custody of the commissioner of health and social services, the victim is entitled to notice of any pending or actual change to the defendant's status. For any proposed change of status the victim has the right to submit a written statement or to appear before the court. Victims have the right to be notified if the accused is found to be not guilty by reason of insanity. Upon request and providing contact information to the Parole Board, a crime victim will be notified of hearings related to special medical parole [AS 12.47.090(a)(1)-(5), (b) and (e); AS 12.61.010(a)(11) and (12)].

back to top

Victims' Rights at Sentencing

  • The court cannot reduce a defendant's punishment based upon the failure of a crime victim to appear or testify [AS 12.55.151];
  • For felony offenders, a probation officer's pre-sentence report shall include a victim impact statement reporting any financial, emotional and medical effects of the offense upon the victim; the victim's need for restitution and other information required by the court [AS 12.55.022; AS 12.61.010(a)(9)];
  • For misdemeanor case, no pre-sentence report is written but a victim may address the court at sentencing [AS 12.61.010(a)(9)]. Victims should let the prosecutor know they would like to speak;
  • All victims may submit to the court a written statement that the victim believes is relevant to the sentencing decision and may give oral presentation to the court at the sentencing hearing. If the victim declines to make a statement, the victim's advocate from the Alaska Office of Victims' Rights may submit a written statement or oral presentation at the hearing on behalf of the victim [AS 12.55.023(b); AS 24.65.110(b)];
  • On a felony conviction, the court shall specifically make a finding regarding the financial, emotional and medical effects of the offense on the victim as well as the victim's need for restitution [AS 12.55.025(a)(5)(A)-(B)];
  • All victims have the constitutional right to confer with the prosecution [Art. I, section 24];
  • Upon request by the victim in a felony or domestic violence case, the prosecutor shall confer with the victim about the victim's testimony prior to trial [AS 12.61.015(a)(1)];
  • Upon request in domestic violence cases, the prosecutor shall confer with the victim about proposed plea agreements prior to their acceptance [AS 12.61.015(a)(4)];
  • Upon request, the prosecutor shall provide the victim with the address and phone number of the office preparing the pre-sentence report [AS 12.61.015(a)(2)(C)];
  • Upon request, before sentencing, the prosecutor shall provide the victim with portions of the pre-sentence report outlining the summary of the offense prepared by the Department of Corrections; the defendant's version of the offense; all statements and summaries of statements of the victim and DOC's sentence recommendation [AS 12.55.023(a)(1)-(4)].

back to top

Victims' Rights Related to Restitution

As a matter of public policy, the law favors requiring criminals to compensate victims for the injuries and damages they have received. Victims have a constitutional right to restitution from the defendant.

In a criminal case, victims should contact the victim/witness paralegal at the District Attorney's Office regarding their restitution claim. The criminal restitution can only be for actual monetary expenses or losses, not for pain and suffering (although that may be available in a civil lawsuit) [AS 12.55.045(a)]. A criminal restitution order from the judge becomes a civil judgment that accrues interest and remains enforceable even after the defendant's probation ends [AS 12.55.045(l)]. The Office of the Attorney General Collection Unit provides limited free collections assistance. For more information, please call (907) 269-5205.

Alaska's victims' rights statutes specifically provide that victims of crimes have the right to be notified of the procedure to be followed to apply for and receive any compensation under AS 18.67 from the Violent Crimes Compensation Board (VCCB). The VCCB is a "payer of last resort," so only losses not compensated through other sources (insurance or civil lawsuit, etc.) are eligible [AS 18.67.090]. For VCCB claims, victims need to apply timely, fill out an application and provide documentation.

A restitution order does not limit any civil liability of the defendant for his or her conduct. Victims must provide the documentation supporting the claim of restitution in a timely manner. If a victim is not "made whole" by the restitution in the criminal case, the victim may choose to pursue a civil lawsuit. A referral for an attorney may be obtained from the Alaska State Bar Association [AS 12.55.045(a)(1); AS 12.61.010(a)(5); AS 18.67.175; AS 12.55.045(b)].

back to top

Victims' Rights Post-Sentencing

Victims' rights continue after a convicted criminal has been sentenced. Upon request, victims of felonies or domestic violence crimes are entitled to be notified by the prosecuting attorney of the final disposition (sentencing) of a case [AS 12.61.015(a)(3)]. All victims are entitled to notice if an appeal is filed [AS 12.61.010(a)(2)].

The defendant or the prosecutor may ask the trial judge to have sentencing moved to a three-judge panel [AS 12.55.175]. Victims have the right to attend the three-judge panel proceedings.

Upon request, a victim will be notified if the defendant escapes from custody or is released on furlough, early release or for any other release. Victims of domestic violence crimes are entitled to automatic notification of escape. Upon request after a conviction of the defendant, a victim is entitled to information from the prosecutor about the defendant's complete conviction history. For notification, victims must maintain a current address with the Department of Correction [AS 33.30.013(a)-(c ); AS 12.61.015(a)(3), AS 12.61.010(a)(2), AS 33.30.013; AS 12.61.010(a)(10)].

Defendants convicted of misdemeanor crimes are not supervised while on probation but defendants convicted of felony crimes are supervised by the Department of Corrections. A defendant who violates probation may be brought back before the court on a Petition to Revoke Probation. Under the Victim Rights Act, the victim has the right to notice and opportunity to speak at any probation revocation proceeding involving conditions of release or sentencing (called "disposition" in probation proceedings).

back to top

Victims' Rights Pertaining to Post-Sentencing Modifications

Victims are entitled to address the court at a defendant's request to modify or reduce their sentence.

Upon request and providing address information to the Department of Correction, the Department shall provide notice of the prisoner's request and send the victim a copy of any motions to modify or reduce sentence and inform the person of his or her:

  • Rights under this section;
  • The deadline for receipt of written comments; and
  • The hearing date and the court's address.

Victims must update the Department of Corrections with address information.

Upon request, the Department of Corrections shall notify the victim of hearings to consider or review discretionary parole. Victims must notify the Parole Board of their address information. Victims may write to the Parole Board or attending the hearing.

Before granting probation to persons convicted of domestic violence, the court shall consider the safety and protection of the victim and any member of the victim's family. The court may impose any other conditions of probation necessary to protect the victim and any members of the victim's family or to rehabilitate the defendant. If the victim has specific concerns or requests for probation conditions, the victim should contact the District Attorneys' Office in advance of the sentencing [AS 12.55.088(d)(e) and (h); AS 12.61.010(a); AS 33.16.120; AS 12.55.101(a)].

back to top

Victims' Rights and Executive Clemency

In 2007 legislation was passed which requires the governor to refer applications for executive clemency (including pardons) to the state parole board at least 120 days prior to any grant of clemency. The parole board is required to notify the Department of Law, the Office of Victims' Rights and the victim of a crime involving domestic violence, arson in the first degree, or a crime against a person. Crimes against a person include homicides, assaults, sexual offenses and all other crimes set forth in title 11, chapter 41 of the Alaska statutes. This legislation (House Bill 69) was sponsored by Anchorage Representative Ralph Samuels and was signed into law by former Governor Sarah Palin on February 22, 2007 [AS 33.20.080(a)].

back to top

Access to Law Enforcement Records

Alaska's public record law states that "unless specifically provided otherwise, the public records of all public agencies are open to inspection by the public…" There are a number of exceptions to the general rule and one of those exceptions applies to "records or information compiled for law enforcement purposes…" This exception protects from disclosure the production of information that could reasonably be expected to interfere with enforcement proceedings, deprive a person of a fair trial or impartial adjudication, to name just a few examples. This same provision also protects from disclosure of information that "could reasonably be expected to constitute an unwarranted invasion of the personal privacy of a…victim, or witness," [AS 40.25.110(a); 12o(a)(6) and (a)(6)(C)].

back to top

Victims' Rights in Juvenile Justice Cases

One of the goals of the Juvenile Justice System is to ensure that victims of crimes committed by juveniles are afforded the same rights as victims of crimes committed by adults [AS 47.12.010(b)(12)]. So victims generally have the same legal rights and should refer to the rights outlined above. But the procedure and terms are different in a juvenile justice case; special provisions for victims' legal rights in juvenile proceedings are described below. When the defendant is under 18 years of age, the case is called a juvenile delinquency proceeding [AS 47.12]. The defendant is referred to as the "minor" [AS 47.12.020]. The case is confidential, but the victim may attend and participate at all the proceedings that the minor has the right to attend [Alaska Constitution Art. I, sec. 24; AS 12.61.010(a)(1)(B), AS 47.12.110(b)].

The court may order the minor and the minor's parent to make suitable restitution to the victim [AS 47.12.120(b)(4)]. The court may not refuse to make an order of restitution to the victim [AS 47.12.120(b)(4)(A)]. An order of restitution by the minor or minor's parents to the victim becomes enforceable as a civil judgment even after the period of probation or commitment has expired (similar to an adult court judgment) [AS 47.12.170]. The Department of Law can collect the restitution on behalf of the victim unless the victim wishes to pursue the restitution without the Department [AS 47.12.170(b)]. If the victim chooses to and needs an attorney to enforce the order civilly, reasonable attorney fees and collection costs shall also be awarded [AS 47.12.170(a)].

Victims of crimes committed by minors are eligible for Violent Crimes Compensation to the same degree as those victims of adult defendants because the award is based on the crime and the losses incurred not the age or status of the defendant [AS 18.67.101].

back to top

Directory of Statewide Services

Alaska Bar Association Lawyer Referral

(907) 272-0352

Alaska Council on Domestic Violence

Alaska Department of Public Safety; coordination of statewide services, education, grants to organizations

(907) 465-4356

Alaska Court System (Criminal Desk)

  • Anchorage: (907) 264-0471
  • Barrow: (907) 852-4800
  • Bethel: (907) 543-2298
  • Dillingham: (907)842-5215
  • Fairbanks: (907) 452-9289
  • Homer: (907)235-8171
  • Juneau: (907) 463-4700
  • Kenai: (907) 283-3110
  • Ketchikan: (907) 225-3195
  • Kotzebue: (907) 442-3208
  • Nome: (907) 443-5216
  • Palmer: (907) 746-8181


Electronic information system to search for court date by defendant name or case number

Family Law Self-Help Center

(907) 264-0851
Toll free Alaska 1-866-279-0851

Alaska Department of Corrections

Victim impact statements information, information and referral, notification of release, transfer, or escape of offenders

Victim Service Unit:
(907) 269-7384; 1-877-741-0741
Parole Board: (907) 269-4642
Probation Information: (907) 269-7367

Register for notification of release; check on convicted defendant custody location and incarceration status
VINE 1-800-247-9763

Alaska Judicial Council

Criminal justice system: booklets on criminal justice system, victim's guide

(907) 279-2526

Alaska Legal Services Corporation

Statewide free legal assistance to low-income Alaskans, senior citizens, and Native allotment applicants. Full range of services in areas of family law, housing, consumer, public benefits, health issues, income maintenance, protection from abuse, Native law, and wills. ALSC offers free legal clinics throughout the state and legal self-help and referral information online at:

  • Anchorage: (907) 272-9431, 1-888-478-2572
  • Bethel: (907) 543-2237. 1-800-478-2230
  • Dillingham: (907) 842-1452, 1-888-391-1475
  • Fairbanks: (907) 452-5181, 1-800-478-5401
  • Juneau: (907) 586-6425, 1-800-789-6426
  • Kenai: (907) 953-7608
  • Ketchikan: (907) 225-6420
  • Kotzebue: (907) 442-3500, 1-877-622-9797
  • Nome: (907) 443-2230, 1-888-495-6663

Alaska Native Justice Center

(907) 793-3550

Alaska Network on Domestic Violence & Sexual Assault (ANDVSA)

Domestic violence/sexual assault: advocacy for victims, public information, training, technical assistance

Juneau: (907) 586-3650
Sitka: (907) 747-7545

Legal Information & Referral Hotline (Tuesdays 5-7pm only):

Alaska Office of Victims' Rights

Legal assistance for crime victim advocacy and for crime victims whose rights have been denied by a justice agency

(907) 754-3460; 1-844-754-3460;

Alaska Immigration Justice Project

The Alaska Immigration Justice Project is a non-profit agency that provides low-cost immigration legal assistance to immigrants and refugees in all immigration applications including citizenship, permanent resident status, work permits, asylum, family-based petitions and immigration petitions for immigrant victims of domestic violence, sexual assault and human trafficking.

(907) 279-2457 (AIJP)

Catholic Social Services Immigration & Refugee Project

Immigration problems resulting from domestic violence, divorce, and criminal proceedings

(907) 222-7300

District Attorney Offices

Criminal prosecutions, victim-witness coordinators, Booklets on sexual assault, domestic violence, stalking, victims' rights, and safety planning

  • Anchorage: (907) 269-6300
  • Barrow: (907) 852-5297
  • Bethel: (907) 543-2055
  • Dillingham: (907) 842-2482
  • Fairbanks: (907) 451-5970
  • Juneau: (907) 465-3620
  • Kenai: (907) 283-3131
  • Ketchikan: (907) 225-6128
  • Kodiak: (907) 486-5744
  • Kotzebue: (907) 442-3396
  • Nome: (907) 443-2296
  • Palmer: (907) 761-5648
  • Sitka: (907) 747-5851

Statewide Victim/Witness Coordinator: (907) 269-6379

National Domestic Violence Hotline

Domestic violence: crisis intervention, information and referral, telephone language translation and translated materials

1-800-799-SAFE (7233), 1-800-787-3224 (TTY)

Office of Children's Services

(907) 269-4000
Report child abuse: 1-800-478-4444
Parent Line: 1-800-643-KIDS (5437)

Office of Public Advocacy

Provides court appointed defense attorneys for criminal defendants who cannot afford to hire an attorney, and who for some reason cannot be represented by the Public Defender Agency

  • Anchorage: (907) 269-3500
  • Bethel: (907) 543-1234
  • Fairbanks: (907) 451-5933
  • Juneau: (907) 465-4173
  • Palmer: (907) 745-0435

Public Defender Offices

Provides court-appointed defense attorneys for criminal defendants who cannot afford to hire an attorney

  • Anchorage: (907) 334-4400; 1-800-478-4404
  • Barrow: (907) 852-2520; 1-800-478-2521
  • Bethel: (907) 543-2488; 1-800-478-2389
  • Dillingham: (907) 842-4582; 1-800-478-4582
  • Fairbanks: (907) 458-6800; 1-800-478-1621
  • Juneau: (907) 465-4911; 1-800-478-4910
  • Kenai: (907) 283-3129; 1-800-478-3129
  • Ketchikan: (907) 228-8950; 1-800-478-6189
  • Kodiak: (907) 486-8114; 1-800-478-8113
  • Kotzebue: (907) 442-3736; 1-800-478-3738
  • Nome: (907) 443-2271; 1-800-478-2279
  • Palmer: (907) 761-5698; 1-800-478-5661
  • Sitka: (907) 747-6808; 1-800-478-6809

Victims for Justice

Violent crime: advocacy, grief support, crisis intervention, assistance for homicide and assault survivors

(907) 278-0977; 1-888-835-1213

VINE (Victim Information and Notification Everyday)

Automatic notification of release, transfer or escape of offenders


Violent Crimes Compensation Board

Financial compensation for victims of violent crimes

(907) 465-3040; 1-800-764-3040

back to top

Directory of Crisis and Counseling Services by Location


Abused Women's Aid in Crisis (AWAIC)

Domestic violence: shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, children's services, batterer's counseling

Business Line: (907) 279-9581
Crisis Line: (907) 272-0100

Alaska CARES

(907)-561-8301; 1-877-561-8301


Tribal consortium to promote self-determination, temporary assistance for essential needs (shelter, food, clothing, burial)

(907) 562-4155; 1-800-478-4155

Fort Richardson Community Services and Family Advocacy Program

(907) 580-5358
24-hour Sexual Assault Hotline: (907) 384-7272

Municipality of Anchorage, Health and Human Services

Interpersonal Violence Prevention Coordinator: (907) 343-6589
Domestic Violence Prevention: (907) 343-6302

New Hope on the Last Frontier

Faith-based programs for adults and teens impacted by domestic violence

(907) 274-2745

Sexual Assault Response Program (EAFB)


STAR (Standing Together Against Rape)

Sexual assault/child sexual assault: advocacy, crisis line

Business line: (907) 276-7279
Crisis Line: (907) 276-7273, 1-800-478-8999;
TTY (907) 278-9988

back to top


Arctic Women in Crisis

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, rural outreach, children's services

Business line: (907) 852-0261
Crisis line: (907) 852-0274, 1-800-478-0267

back to top


Association of Village Council Presidents, Inc. (AVCP)

Social Services strives to improve the family base by providing services to meet the basic needs, including: general assistance, energy assistance, older Americans, and advocacy.

(907) 543-7472; 1-800-478-3521

Tundra Women's Coalition

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, rural outreach, children's services

Business line: (907) 543-3444
Crisis Line: (907) 543-3456, 1-800-478-7799

Yukon-Kuskokwim Health Corporation

YKHC Behavioral Health Services provides an array of holistic, life-enhancing, culturally-based behavioral health services for the people of the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.

Behavior Health Administrator: (907) 543-6110
Emergency Services:
(907) 543-6100; 1-800-478-2642

back to top


Cordova Family Resource Center

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelters, crisis line, advocacy, library, public education

Business line: (907) 424-5674
24-hour Crisis line:
(907) 424-HELP (4357); 1-866-790-4357

back to top


Safe and Fear-Free Environment (SAFE)

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, crisis line, rural outreach, children's services, village safe houses, coordination with Bristol Bay Native Association

Business line: (907) 842-2320
Crisis line: 1-800-478-2316

back to top


Emmonak Women's Shelter

Domestic violence shelter, crisis intervention
(907) 949-1434

back to top


Interior Alaska Center for Non-Violent Living (IAC)

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, advocacy, counseling, crisis line, elder abuse, children's services, rural outreach

24-hour Support: (907) 452-2293, 1-800-478-7273

Tanana Chiefs Conference

Domestic violence: prevention, advocacy, information and referral, village outreach

(907)452-8251; 1-800-478-6822
Toll Free outside Alaska: 1-800-770-8251

back to top


South Peninsula Haven House

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, support group, advocacy, crisis line, education, children's services

Business line: (907) 235-7712
24-hour Crisis line:
(907) 235-8943; 1-800-478-7712

back to top


Aiding Women from Abuse and Rape Emergencies (AWARE)

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, elder abuse, children's services, rural outreach, child sexual abuse counseling

Business line: (907) 586-6623
Crisis line: (907) 586-1090, 1-800-478-1090

back to top


The Leeshore Center

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, support, advocacy, crisis line, elder abuse, childrens' services, transitional living center, men's re-education program

Business line: (907) 283-9479
24-hour Crisis line: (907) 283-7257

back to top


Ketchikan Indian Community

Social Services section provides domestic violence and batterer's intervention programs.

Business line: (907) 228-4917

Women in Safe Homes (WISH)

Comprehensive intervention and prevention, outreach and education regarding domestic violence, sexual assault and child abuse.

(907) 247-WISH (9474), 1-800-478-9474

back to top


Kodiak Women's Resource & Crisis Center

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, children's services

Business line: (907) 486-6171
Crisis line: (907) 486-3625

back to top


Maniilaq Family Crisis Center

Domestic violence/sexual assault: shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, village advocate

(907) 442-3724, 1-888-478-3312

back to top


Alaska Family Service

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, children's services

Business Line: (907) 376-4080
24-hour Crisis line:
(907) 746-8026, 1-866-746-4080

Church on the Rock

Fresh Start

Faith-based community victim services

(907) 373-7910

back to top


Bering Sea Women's Group

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, rural outreach, children's services

(907) 443-5491; 1-800-570-5444

back to top


Seaview Community Services

Domestic violence/sexual assault: safe houses, counseling, advocacy, crisis line

Business line: (907) 224-5257
Crisis Line: (907) 224-3027

back to top


Sitkans Against Family Violence

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, rural outreach, children's services

Business line: (907) 747-3370
Crisis Line: (907) 747-6511, 1-800-478-6511

back to top


Unalaskans Against Sexual Assault & Family Violence

Domestic violence/sexual assault safe homes, counseling, advocacy, crisis line

Crisis Line: (907) 581-1500; 1-800-478-7238

back to top


Advocates for Victims of Violence

Domestic violence/sexual assault shelter, counseling, advocacy, crisis line, rural outreach, children's services

Business line: (907) 835-2980
Crisis line: (907) 835-2999, 1-800-835-4044

back to top

If you are in need of an interpreter please let the district attorney's office know. One will be provided at no cost to you.